jump to navigation

Summer Top – Hand Knit Pattern Converted to Machine Knit May 8, 2010

Posted by myblueheavenknits in Uncategorized.
trackback

Now that it’s getting warmer, my thoughts turn to how to knit something that is cooler.  I pulled a free pattern off of interweavestore.com called the Lutea Lace-Shoulder Shell and thought it would be a great one to convert to machine knitting for the summer because it had a vee-neck and was sleeveless.  There was an interesting short row sequence right before you separate to do the shoulder which angled the final piece and provided the shaping at the bust.  They used a medium weight yarn, size 8 needles and got 17 sts X 24 rws = 4″ gauge.  That can easily be done with a bulky, so what did I do?  I used my Brother KH-341 standard portable – OK, I wanted a bit of a challenge and besides, most of my summer-weight yarns are thin. 

I did my swatch and got 7 sts X 9 rws, drew out the sketch, did my measurements and calculations and then proceeded to knit.  I used a tuck stitch (every 10th needle) scallop for the hem and repeated it for the shoulders, but I wasn’t totally in love with the final result.  I will finish it anyway to see if it grows on me.  And as usual, I will knit another one, doing a different stitch to see if it gives me the look I want.  Yes, I think I will use the hand-manipulated mock cable pattern.  The needles out-of-work will give me a lacy look.  I will post a picture of these when I get them done.

Advertisements

Comments»

No comments yet — be the first.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: